Tips and Solutions Detail
Mother's Day Tray
. . . . . .
This Mother's Day give your mom a special breakfast tray that she can display or use again and again. For the woman who has served you breakfast for years, this is a great way to return the favor while giving her something she'll always cherish! All you need are a few simple supplies, a wooden tray, little helping hands, and Lifetime Table to assemble everything with minimal cleanup.
- Lifetime table
- Lifetime chairs
- Wooden tray
- Patterned paper (in her favorite colors or colors that match the home decor)
- Solid colored cardstock
- Journaling pen (acid-free)
- Thick thread and ribbon
- A sharp pencil
- A photo of your children
- Scrapbook letter stickers
- 5-6 Buttons
- Hot glue gun
- Decoupage or regular white glue
- Paint matching the patterned paper (optional)
- If desired, paint the wooden tray and allow to dry.
- Have children write what they love about mom on patterned paper.
- Cut cardstock into several pieces. One to fit the length or width of the base of the tray, and some pieces that are just 1/4" bigger than your photo on each side.
- Smear the white glue or Decoupage on the back of your piece of cardstock, and adhere it to the inside of the tray against the left wall.
- Do the same to the back of your piece of patterned paper, and place it centered between your cardstock and the right wall.
- As you allow both pieces of paper to dry on the tray, use the needle and thick thread or ribbon to stitch around the cardstock that is just slightly larger than your photo. You can use a sharp pencil to poke holes along the edges beforehand.
- Use white glue to mount the photo to the piece of stitched cardstock (that is 1/4" larger than the photo) so that it forms a frame. Adhere some thread or ribbon across the bottom and use hot glue to add a button or two.
- Use the hot glue to adhere the ribbon along the length of your cardstock, near the center of the tray. Glue on the remaining buttons and washers to the ribbon.
- Adhere embellished photo to tray.
- Place sticker or title letters to the cardstock. Create a saying that means something to her, or something pertaining to what the children have written, like "Mom, we love you because..." ... and you're done!
- To preserve the tray design and images, spray a coat of clear matte fixative over the inside of the tray. To create a water-proof coat, pour in a layer of high-gloss coating. Spread evenly by tipping the tray from side to side, and use a blow-dryer set to low to blow air over surface to eliminate bubbles.
Breakfast Tray by Jennifer Luke. Supplies: wooden breakfast tray; paint by DecoArt; patterned paper by K&Company; letter stickers by Heidi Grade Designs; waxy flax; washer; ribbon.
Speak with a professional
Give us a call