Tips and Solutions Detail
April Fool's Dinner
. . . . . .
Top off a fun-filled day of practical jokes with an April Fool's Dinner that will baffle your dinner guests. Their eyes are sure to deceive them when you present this yummy frosted mash potato layer "cake" and chocolate ice cream "taco salad" with an irresistible gelatin fruit punch that will prove a little difficult to sip through a straw! This is a great idea for family fun or to make a memorable impression on a first date.
Meatloaf Layer Cake
Since it's April Fool's Day, serve up this "dessert" first! Yields 8 to 10 servings.
Meatloaf Cake Ingredients
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 can (5.5 oz.) spicy tomato juice
- 1/2 c. seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 c. quick-cooking oats
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 2 lbs. ground beef
Mashed Potato Frosting Ingredients
- 4 2/3 c.water
- 1 c. plus 2 Tb. milk
- 7 Tb. butter or margarine, cubed
- 1 3/4 tsp. salt
- 4 2/3 c. mashed potato flakes
- Combine all meatloaf ingredients in a large bowl, mixing well. Pat into two round ungreased cake pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 - 30 minutes until done; drain. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Bring the milk, butter, water, and salt to a boil in saucepan. Pour in potato flakes, stir, and remove from the heat. Invert one meat loaf onto platter; invert other meat loaf onto separate plate. Spread 1 1/2 c. mashed potatoes over first loaf on the platter. Slowly slide second meatloaf layer onto the first "frosted" meatloaf layer.
- "Frost" the meatloaf cake by spreading 3 1/2 c. mashed potatoes over the top and the sides. For a really fancy cake with an even more convincing effect, use a pastry bag and various frosting tips for an attractive border around the top and bottom edges of your meatloaf cake. If you don't have a pastry bag,simply use a resealable plastic bag and cut one bottom corner off to squeeze ingredients through.
Chocolate Ice Cream Taco Salad
Ay Caramba! This is a Taco Salad they'll never forget! Yield: 6 servings
- 1 c. ground pecans
- 1 pint chocolate ice cream
- 1 3/4 tsp.water,(will be divided)
- 6 drops green food coloring
- 1 3/4 c. flaked coconut(will be divided)
- 4 drops yellow food coloring
- 6 taco salad bowls or waffle ice cream bowls (whichever you prefer)
- 6 Tb. whipped topping
- Black rope licorice (smooth, not twisted) cut into 1/4 in. slices for "olives"
- Maraschino cherries for "cherry tomatoes"
- Spread pecans on a plate. Drop scoops of ice cream onto the pecans and roll to coat. Place ice cream balls onto a baking sheet and place in the freezer.
- In a big sealable plastic bag, mix 1 1/2 tsp. water and the green food coloring. Then add 1 1/2 c. flaked coconut. Seal plastic bag and shake well to distribute coloring.
- In a little sealable plastic bag, mix the yellow food coloring and the remaining water; add the remaining coconut. Seal plastic bag and shake well.
- Place ice cream balls into bowl shells. Top with green coconut "lettuce." Add a dollop of whipped topping "sour cream" and sprinkle with the yellow coconut "cheddar cheese". For the final touch, sprinkle licorice "olives" and maraschino "tomatoes" on top.
- Serve Immediately
April Fool's Berry Punch
It looks like punch. It smells like punch. But on April Fool's Day, you just can't be too sure! Plan ahead...needs to chill. Yield: 6 servings
- 2 pkgs. (3 oz. each) cherry gelatin
- 2 c. sliced fresh strawberries and blueberries
- 6 straws
- Note: Any berry flavored gelatin and fresh fruit combination will taste great!
- Follow directions on gelatin package. Refrigerate until partially set, 2 - 3 hours.
- Fold in strawberries and pour mixture into six tall glasses.
- For a convincing effect, insert a drinking straw into each glass.
- Then replace glasses in the refrigerator until gelatin completely sets.
Your dinner guests are sure to be delighted with this clever meal of illusion. Being fooled has never been so delicious!